Its been a while… almost a year in fact. The little break has been for various reasons which I will go into another time, but for now, I want to use the small space I have online to share all of the resources that I have found useful and informative surrounding Black Lives Matter.
I think it’s important to recognise and acknowledge my own white privilege before I go any further into this blog. As part of this acknowledgment of my own privilege, I’ve taken the conscious decision to research the history of racism and the current issues surrounding racial divisions. I’d like to point out that I’ve not been a victim of racism myself and that in itself is a privilege I am, now more than ever, aware of.
I know that in my life I have met and know people who openly made racist comments around other white people without viewing themselves as racist. If I’ve learned anything over the last few days, it is that after acknowledging my own white privilege, it should not just stop there and I should use my own platform to try and reach these people with some sources of education so that they can discover their own.
As a white female woman experiencing this myself first hand, I can guarantee if you’re reading this blog and are also white, you have seen another white person make racist or derogatory comments and you’ve inwardly cringed. You know what that person just said is wrong. This could have been a passing comment that you do not agree with and haven’t challenged the person on what they have at the time, but on reflection, you should have. That cannot happen anymore, and as a white female I need to make sure I am active in my approach to anti-racism by not letting these comments slide again, they need to be challenged at every opportunity and you need to do the same.
I also want to make sure it’s crystal clear that the below materials haven’t just been copy and pasted quickly or thoughtlessly, I have read every article, signed every petition, read every book synopsis before suggesting as well as having read some of the books in full already and plan to read others. I have watched or am currently watching the television documentaries and sent on the email templates etc.
Educating yourself is great, BUT taking action is better.
I am going to break this post down into different types of resources, including articles, books, donation pages, petitions, podcasts, and television. If you feel I have missed anything or have any resources you would like to share please feel free to drop a link in the comments or message me and I will gladly edit the post and add to it at any time.
Quick Instagram links to watch/read:
You do not need an Instagram account to view the below online (not within the Instagram app).
- White privilege is real https://www.instagram.com/p/CA6n74BAWsa/
- Clara Amfo on BBC Radio 1 https://www.instagram.com/p/CA8L2W6II5_/
- Systematic racism explained https://www.instagram.com/p/CA9LyigBdjT/
- One minuet watch: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA-DwOTh2tT/
- Read the caption: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA96umlBu1x/
- Children learning how to communicate with the police: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAtRsHjJtgg/
- What you can do from the UK: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAu_buhH5lD/
- Guide for white Brits on racism in the UK: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA53Q_WDl9O/
- 8 things white people can do: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA55vk-gqEe/
- Who gets to be afraid in America? https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/ahmaud-arbery/611539/
- George Floyd: why the sight of these brave, exhausted protesters gives me hope: https://theconversation.com/george-floyd-why-the-sight-of-these-brave-exhausted-protesters-gives-me-hope-139804
- The fury in US cities is rooted in a long history of racist policing, violence and inequality: https://theconversation.com/the-fury-in-us-cities-is-rooted-in-a-long-history-of-racist-policing-violence-and-inequality-139752
- Black Lives Matter Co-Founder Patrisse Cullors on Her Memoir, Her Life and What’s Next for the Movement: https://time.com/5171270/black-lives-matter-patrisse-cullors/
- Black Lives Matter: If you’re white, pass the mic: https://www.forbes.com/sites/sfrost/2020/06/03/black-lives-matter-if-youre-white-pass-the-mic/#272b2a386945
- The History of Black People in Britain: https://www.historytoday.com/archive/history-black-people-britain
- Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People about Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard For White People To Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo
- Superior: The Return of Race Science (free for Kindle at the time of writing)
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- I’m Still Here by Austin Channing Brown
- The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin
- Brit(ish) by Afua Hirsch
- Citizen by Claudia Rankine
- The Good Immigrant ed. Nikesh Shukla
- Black and British: A Forgotten History by David Olusoga
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- White Girls by Hilton Als
- Don’t Touch My Hair by Emma Dabiri
- Diversify by June Sarpong
- They Can’t Kill Us All by Wesley Lowery
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- How to Be an Anti-Racistby Ibram X. Kendi
- Freedom Is A Constant Struggle by Angela Davis
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- White Supremacy and Me by Layla F. Saad
- The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Black Feminist Thought by Patricia Hill Collins
- Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches by Audre Lorde
- Ain’t I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism by Bell Hooks
- Heavy by Kiese Laymon
- George Floyd memorial fund: https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd?
- I Run With Maude: https://www.gofundme.com/f/i-run-with-maud
- Black Lives Matter: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/ms_blm_homepage_2019
- Reclaim The Block: https://secure.everyaction.com/zae4prEeKESHBy0MKXTIcQ2?fbclid=IwAR1mozFqHICrjSN7tPDAkjJAwnxdkw8VbVVI6xygTPscsvzC-lQfhEaey0U
- Black Visions: https://secure.everyaction.com/4omQDAR0oUiUagTu0EG-Ig2
- National Bail Out Fund: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/freeblackmamas2020
- Louisville Community Bail Fund: https://actionnetwork.org/fundraising/louisville-community-bail-fund/
- Minnesota bail fund: https://minnesotafreedomfund.org/donate
- Justice for George Floyd: https://www.change.org/p/mayor-jacob-frey-justice-for-george-floyd?
- Charge the Minneapolis police officers for murdering George Floyd: https://www.change.org/p/change-org-the-minneapolis-police-officers-to-be-charged-for-murder-after-killing-innocent-black-man?
- Charge the Minneapolis police officers for murdering George Floyd: https://www.justiceforbigfloyd.com/#petition
- Ban or restrict tear gas: https://www.change.org/p/ban-or-restrict-tear-gas?
- Petition to classify white supremacist groups as Domestic Terror Organizations: https://www.change.org/p/clare-linkins-executive-director-of-national-counterterrorism-center-lift-the-hoods-classify-white-supremacist-groups-as-domestic-terrorist-organizations?
- Suspend UK export of tear gas, rubber bullets and riot shields to the USA: https://www.change.org/p/suspend-uk-export-of-tear-gas-rubber-bullets-and-riot-shields-to-usa?
- Stop the wrongful execution of Julius Jones: https://www.change.org/p/julius-jones-is-innocent-don-t-let-him-be-executed-by-the-state-of-oklahoma?
- Make white privilege and systematic racism a compulsory part of British education: https://www.change.org/p/gavin-williamson-make-white-privilege-and-systemic-racism-a-compulsory-part-of-the-british-education-course?
- Justice for Breonna Taylor: https://www.change.org/p/andy-beshear-justice-for-breonna-taylor
- Run with Maude: https://www.runwithmaud.com/#petition
- Justice for Ahmaud Arbery: https://www.change.org/p/liberty-county-distric-attorney-justice-for-ahmaud-arbery
- Justice for Tony McDade: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-tony-mcdade?
- Reopen Sandra Bland’s case: https://www.change.org/p/texas-governor-i-want-sandra-bland-s-case-reopened?
- Justice for Jamiee Johnson: https://campaigns.organizefor.org/petitions/justice-for-jamee-johnson? (to release the unedited bodycam + dashcam footage)
- Hands Up Act: https://www.change.org/p/us-senate-hands-up-act
- All My Relations
- New York Times’1619
- BBC World Service: Witness Black History
- Say Your Mind
- About Race with Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Have you Heard George’s Podcast?
- Growing Up With Gal-Dem
- Black Gals Livin’
- Slay In Your Lane: The Podcast
- The Dope black Podcast
- Halfcast Podcast
- EJI’s Lynching in America
- About Race
- Code Switch (NPR)
- Intersectionality Matters
- Groundings (The #GroundingsPodcast)
- Beyond Prisons
- Ear Hustle
- The Read
- Still Processing
- 13th – Netflix
- When They See Us – Netflix
- Dear White People – Netflix
- Explained: The Racial Wealth Gap – Netflix
- Time: The Kalief Browder Story – Netflix
- Who Killed Malcom X? – Netflix
- See You Yesterday – Netflix
- Fruitvale Station – Netflix
- Hollywood – Netflix
- Self Made – Netflix
- Hidden Figures – Amazon
- Dark Girls – Amazon
- Selma – Amazon
- The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 – Amazon
- The Death and Life of Marsha P Johnson – Netflix
- Just Mercy – Amazon
- Black and Scottish – BBC
- Shame The Game – BBC
- The Hate U Give – NowTV
- 12 Years A Slave – Netflix
- Farming – Amazon
- Django Unchained – Amazon
- Mudbound – Netflix
- Justice For Joy – Channel 4
- Unremembered: Britains Forgotten War Heroes – Channel 4
- Email template to report racist students to their place of education: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Tv-EP_Vg0w7QtshAq3LHN1X2TyDfqO46VS87YbKpAk/edit
- Email template for justice for George Floyd – just add your name and send: https://l.instagram.com/?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2Femailforfloyd%2F&e=ATMZ8a3fkEZAbIq-jugARR5IwSb_J9_J_4lzeolM84s87STdjbgvpkVPvrOMW0AIAE8M0cVKvqEutHKJRXt0&s=1
- Black History Month Google Drive file created by a black transperson, Charles Preston: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz011IF2Pu9TUWIxVWxybGJ1Ync
- Text or call: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/#text
- Map of protests: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=9.101946528762257%2C-54.8487811&z=2&mid=1W3fsF5-Mz3_KaBgVt2pU8BDY5GkawUN_